History

Being famous in the surveying education industry of China, the School of Geodesy and Geomatics, Wuhan University, dates back to Wuhan Surveying and Mapping Institute which was founded in 1956 directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education. She was later transferred to the management of the State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping in 1958, with the name changed to Wuhan Institute of Surveying and Mapping. In1978, she was granted as national key university and was authorized by the State Council to be one of the first academic departments able to confer Master and Ph.D degrees in 1980. In 1985, her name was changed into Wuhan University of Technology of Surveying and Mapping. In 1993, the Department of Geodesy and the Department of Surveying Engineering merged to form the School of Geodesy and Surveying Engineering. In February 2000, she was again under the administration of the Ministry of Education. In August 2000, the new Wuhan University was established --- an amalgamation of the original Wuhan University, Wuhan University of Hydraulic and Electrical Engineering, Wuhan Technical University of Surveying and Mapping, and Hubei Medical University. In the new Wuhan University, Scientific and Technical Institute of Surveying and Mapping was built, based on the original Institute of Geodesy and Surveying Engineering. The current name, School of Geodesy and Geomatics, has been in use since September, 2001.